On March 6, Hewlett-Packard announced the new generation of ProLiant servers, Gen8.
Among the highlights in Gen 8 are (see below for details):
– Support for the new Intel E5-2600 series of CPUs
– Support for PCI Express version 3.0
– Support for memory operating at 1600 MHz
– New flexible networking technology
– New system management engine
Intel Xeon E5-2600
The new ProLiant Gen8 servers supports the new Intel Xeon E5-2600 series of CPUs (code name Sandy Bridge). The new CPUs come with either 2, 4, 6 or 8 cores in clock frequencies between 1.8 GHz and 3.3. GHz. The new AVX instructions which doubles the theoretical floating point performance per core is expected to boost the performance for many CAE applications.
Each CPU has four memory channels supporting up to three memory DIMMs (depending on server model). The memory operates at 1066, 1333, or 1600 MHz depending on configuration. The highest operating frequency of 1600 MHz is supported for up to two DIMMs per channel.
New Flexible Networkin Technology
HP ProLiant Gen8 servers offer a new networking technology – Flexible Networking Technology. It offers the customer the choice of 1 Gb, 10 Gb, or InfiniBand FlexibleLOM solutions depending on the workload. Obviously additional PCIe cards can be added (depending on server) to enable more ports.
New System Management Engine
The HP iLO Management Engine is a complete set of embedded features to support the full lifecycle of the server from initial deployment, through ongoing management, to service alerting and remote support. Main features:
– HP iLO: The core foundation which is now also possible to access from a smartphone
– HP Agentless Management: Built in hardware monitoring and alerting capacity which starts working at the moment a power cord and an Ethernet cable is connected.
– HP Active Health System: Providing diagnostic tools and scanners which are continously monitoring the system. It provides health and service alerts and makes it easy to upload information to service and support.
– HP Intelligent Provisioning: offers the ability for out-of-the-box single server deployment and configuration without the need for media.
Please contact us for more information